Sunday, October 20, 2013

Nirvana Layout | You & Me We're Family!




Hello all. Angela here with an surprise unusual color combination and a layout. When I initially started this layout I had an entirely different plan in mind. Well, let me clarify plan. What I mean by plan is a different starting point. 

I don't typically have a design in mind when I scrap. I usually have a technique I want to try or a few hundred things via pinterest that I've recently been inspired by. For this layout I wanted to try some mixed media techniques. If you look closely at the center of the layout you can see some paint peeking out beneath all my layers. It started out great but as the layout progressed it was almost completely covered up. 


Given the finished product I don't mind at all. I love the way the layout turned out. I love the smokey moodiness of the colors. I love the gorgeous damask and the hints of gold and iridescent fibers. It worked itself out and I'm totally happy with that. 

One of my favorite things about the Nirvana collection is the deep dark black that you don't typically see in a patterned paper. The black in the designs are the deepest darkest black printing that I've ever seen and the quality of the patterned paper is exceptional. This is some thick patterned paper. It's definitely cardstock weight and that makes it super easy to use. 


On the inside of the folder I used some Jenni Bowlin stickers that I recently received in one of my Studio Calico kits. I like how the clusters of labels and stickers mimic the patterned paper with the printed clocks. 

I'm typically lean toward more graphic designs and I love the printed chevrons on the background paper. I also love the gorgeous flowers in the second background paper. It breaks up all the angular layers that I used in the central design. 

When I decided to use this picture of my family on my wedding day on this layout I was about 1/2 finished with the layout. I initially printed the picture in black/white but I felt it was being lost since the inside of the file folder was mainly black and tan print. When I printed the photo in color I liked it much better. A little pop of color on the inside is an unexpected surprise. While I don't think the color combination will set any trends I love the pop of unusual color that you find when you open that file folder. 


This layout challenged me in that the photo is hidden inside the file folder. In addition to that I struggled with where to put the journaling and the title. Ultimately I chose to leave the outside as a "pretty" decoration while putting the title on the inside. A mixture of vellum, thickers, and stamping make up that stacked title. It also filled the space beneath the picture. 

I tucked the journaling card behind the file folder where I created a pocket. A little score tape on three sides made that a great hiding place. 


While I was taking my initial pictures I didn't have anything covering that large black canvas banner on the outside of the file folder and it definitely drew your attention away from the overall design. As I went looking through my stash I happened to find these iridescent fibers that I purchased ages ago. They are the perfect color and a great little accent to break up that black banner. It's my second favorite embellishment on this layout second to that gorgeous damask embellishment cluster that I fussy cut from other patterned papers. 

Marion is on her 3rd or 4th reprint of her newest collections. A big thank you to everyone who supports us on the facebook page,  on instagram, and by using our #marionsmithdesigns hashtag. You can see all the pictures using the hashtag on facebook. We love you!!!

Thank you so much for stopping by. Make sure you subscribe and leave a comment telling me what you've struggled with lately in your crafting. I'm off to take care of my sick hubby. :-(


Also you can see my latest crafty works here on my blog

Materials Used: 


Marion Smith Designs 






Other supplies: 
Adhesive - Scotch ATG
Embellishments - Recollections (Black Rhinestones), Prima (White Pearls), XL Black tag (Studio Calico Kit),  Butterfly Punches (Martha Stewart),  Chalkboard label (American Crafts Remarks)
Patterned Paper - Gold Kraft Paper, Black Canvas Paper (Canvas Corp), Gold Glitter Paper (American Crafts Pow)



3 comments:

  1. Angee this is awesome, it's like a mini album within the layout. Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. Something new for me but I'm definitely looking forward to trying it again.

      Delete
  2. Great layout - love how you used the file folder. I have the same problem sometimes with the paint. I just get excited and cover it up.

    ReplyDelete